The City manages about 40 natural areas, ranging from the 600 hectare Ellis Brook Valley, to the foreshore where the Canning River meets the Southern River, to much smaller areas of bushland.
Each site has been ranked using State guidelines for biodiversity.
Some of the key sites include:
- Rushton Road Woodland (in the Ellis Brook Valley management area)
- Gosnells Golf Course Bushland
- Tom Bateman Reserve Bushland
- Mary Carroll Park wetlands
- Lander Swamp
- Shreeve Road Reserve Wetlands
- Comrie Road Wetland
- Nicholson Road Bushland
- Sutherlands Park.
Planning for conservation
Conservation of wetlands is addressed by applying State and Federal policy in the land use planning process relating to wetlands, fauna and flora.