Any private swimming pool or spa capable of holding more than 30 centimetres of water must be secured with an approved barrier. This includes any structure or excavation used primarily for swimming, wading, paddling or the like, and includes portable and inflatable pools.
The City is required to routinely inspect pool barriers to ensure compliance is maintained.
Some requirements vary depending on when the pool or spa was installed.
- It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure their pool or spa barrier is maintained at all times.
- Pools and spas installed from 5 November 2001 must be completely enclosed and cannot be directly accessible from a dwelling or associated buildings.
- Fencing must be a minimum 1.2 metres high and all gates must be self-closing, self-latching and open out of the enclosure.
- Above ground pools may incorporate the pool walls into the barrier if they are not less than 1.2 metres high and provide no climbable projections; however a fence and gate must be installed around a designated entry point (i.e. the pool ladder).
- Pools and spas installed before 5 November 2001 may be accessible from the dwelling, but must have self-closing, self-latching doors and gates, and secured windows where they provide access into the enclosure.
- Sliding doors are permitted, however all swing doors must open out of the enclosure area.
The City is required to inspect a pool or spa barrier at least once in every four year period to ensure compliance is maintained.
The City’s Compliance Officers attend each site and assess the barrier to confirm compliance with regulations. More than 2,000 inspections are carried out each year, with more being added each month.
An inspection fee is payable for each property with a pool or spa. As the inspection is conducted every four years the fee is broken into four instalments that are included in the property rates charged each year. Refer to the City’s schedule of fees and charges for the current amount.
To book a pool inspection: call the City of Gosnells on 9397 3046