Ranger Services are responsible for enforcing the Dog Act 1976 as well as the City's Dogs Local Law 2020 which provides for the regulation, control and management of dogs within the district.
Responsible Dog Ownership
The City promotes responsible dog ownership. Being a responsible dog owner is about understanding your pet’s needs and your responsibilities to the community. The responsibility for a dog's actions rests with its owners.
Cleaning Up After Your Dog
Individuals are required to pick up after their dogs when in a public place. Failure to do so may result in a fine of $100. Dog faeces must be disposed of responsibly.
Numbers of Dogs
The City's Dogs Local Law 2020 permits the keeping of a maximum of
- 2 dogs, over the age of 3 months, on a property less than 2,000m²
- 3 dogs, over the age of 3 months, on a property between 2,000m² and 10,000m²
- 4 dogs, over the age of 3 months, on a property over 10,000m²
Applications to keep more than the permitted number of dogs on a property
- Under extraordinary circumstances, Council may approve at an Ordinary Council Meeting, the keeping of more than the permitted number of dogs.
- Council will be guided by Council Policy - CP 5.4.46 Applications to Keep More Than the Permitted Number of Dogs
Online form: Application to keep more than the permitted number of dogs
New laws and changes to the Dog Act 1976
The Dog Amendment (Stop Puppy Farming) Bill 2021 (the Bill) has passed through Parliament.