The Maddington Kenwick Strategic Employment Area (MKSEA) Precinct 1 land is bound by Bickley Road, Victoria Road and Tonkin Highway. Planning is underway to develop the land into a major industrial area.
To provide a planning framework to guide the future land use, subdivision and development of the area:
- recognise environmentally sensitive areas
- reserve land for drainage purposes
- ensure orderly subdivision of lots
- consider road networks
- ensure road layout is consistent with Development Control Policy 4.1 - Industrial Subdivision
- increase levels of employment within the locality
- provide public open space for the protection and conservation of wetlands and associated flora and fauna.
Council has undertaken various planning tasks and investigations in MKSEA Precinct 1.
- The Metropolitan Region Scheme (MRS) amendment to rezone Precinct 1 from Rural to Industrial was gazetted on 18 September 2012.
- Amendment No. 126 to Town Planning Scheme No. 6 (TPS 6) to rezone Precinct 1 from General Rural to Business Development was approved on 11 October 2013.
- Local Planning Policy 5.6 was adopted on 22 October 2013 to provide guidance for the assessment and determination of applications for planning approval within Precinct 1.
- Council informs landowners of its intent to prepare a draft structure plan for MKSEA Precinct 1 - 6 July 2015
- Council completes an Environmental Assessment and Management Strategy, Local Water Management Strategy, Geotechnical, Traffic, Bushfire Management, and Aboriginal Heritage reports for Precincts 1, 2, and 3B.
- The Draft MKSEA Precinct 1 structure plan is advertised - from 17 April 2019 to 29 May 2019.
- Council recommends to the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) that the Draft MKSEA Precinct 1 structure plan be approved subject to modifications - 27 August 2019.
- The WAPC defers a decision on the Draft Structure Plan pending the resolution of a number of issues. Council has engaged with affected landowners and State Government agencies on these issues.
- Draft Modified Structure Plan readvertised for Public Comment 11/12/2020 - 22/01/2021.
- Draft Modified Structure Plan was endorsed by Council on 21 December 2021).
- The WAPC requested the City to modify the draft structure plan on 6 December 2022.
- The draft structure plan is being modified to update supporting technical documents and seek endorsement from servicing authorities and state government agencies.
What will happen next?
- A draft development contribution plan for Precinct 1 is being prepared to identify the provision of common infrastructure and associated costs required to upgrade the precinct to an industrial standard. Common infrastructure generally includes the provision and upgrading of roads and utilities to an industrial standard and any land required for public purposes.
Contact the City's Future Planning team: 9397 3000