The City of Gosnells Museum at Wilkinson Homestead is located beside the beautiful Canning River, Djarlgarra Beeliar. The Museum holds a collection of objects telling the stories of the history and heritage of the Gosnells district and its residents. It is open on Tuesdays and Sundays or by appointment. Groups are welcome to enjoy morning tea or lunch in the lush surrounds whilst listening to our experienced guides (tea and coffee can be provided).
The museum holds regular activities and events each month. Find out more on our Facebook page here.
Our Education Program runs on each Wednesday during term, offering exciting hands-on experiences for students in years 1 and 2. Homeschool visits are also welcome.
The site has an interesting history that dates back to the Whadjuk Noongar people and later European settlement. It was also a site of early agricultural development, particularly the citrus industry. The Museum property and adjacent park are part of the 1829 land grant to John Okey Davis. The homestead was built in 1912 by John and Emma Wilkinson on a property that became one of the largest citrus-producing properties of the early twentieth century in Western Australia. Representative buildings, including the machinery shed, dunny and washhouse reflect life in earlier times.
Community support is essential to the operation of the Museum. Volunteers can work with the collection, present education programs, provide tours, undertake research, or assist with other activities. To find out what positions are currently available check out the Heritage Volunteering page.
Further information about the history and heritage of the Gosnells district, and what the City is doing to record and preserve it, can be found here.
34 Homestead Road
Gosnells WA 6110