All public buildings such as churches, recreation centres, pubs, halls and function centres are inspected on a regular basis by the City’s Health Service to ensure compliance with the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992.
These inspections assess the safety of the buildings, in particular:
- emergency exits and locking devices
- emergency lighting and maintenance logs
- provision and maintenance of fire extinguishers, blankets and hose reels
- emergency evacuation procedures
- provision and maintenance of public toilets
A person wanting to use or construct a building for a public purpose must submit an application to construct, extend or alter a public building to the City’s Health Service which also may require submitting plans.