Dog exercise areas
Dog owners have a legal responsibility to clean up after their pets. Please respect your local park and community.
The City provides dog waste bags in various parks to promote and encourage correct practise. When there are no bags available it is the dog owner's responsibility to come prepared and act responsibly.
The City has dedicated exercise areas where dogs may be exercised 'off leash' but they must remain under effective control of the owner or person exercising the dog.
The term ‘under effective control’ broadly means that the dog:
- Responds to commands, and particularly returns when called.
- Remains in a reasonable distance from the owner at all times.
- Does not act in a threatening or aggressive manne to other people or animals.
- Does not cause damage to flora or fauna.
- Does not enter a lake or water channel.
Dog owners can exercise dogs off-leash in gazetted dog exercise areas in the City provided the dog is under supervision and effective control (see the link below for a map of those areas).
Most reserves are dog-on-leash areas only. To view a map of dog exercise areas closest to you please see the suburb links below.
Don’t allow your dog to become a nuisance to other parks or reserve users.