Mosquito on reed

Animals and Pests


The City’s Bee Keeping Local Law 1999 outlines the requirements for the keeping of bees within the City of Gosnells. If a wild bee hive has established on a private property and it is causing a nuisance the owner or occupier is responsible for treating or removing it. If a bee hive is on Council land and it is causing a nuisance please contact the City’s Operation Centre on 9397 3000. If you wish to keep bees on your property you will require a permit from the City’s Compliance Section.

Farm Animals

Under the City’s Animal, Environment and Nuisance Local Law 2009 a farm animal includes a horse, cow, sheep, goat, pig or other ungulate. If you wish to keep a farm animal you must comply with the requirements under these Local Laws. If your property is any zone other than in a rural zone you are required to obtain a permit from the City’s Compliance Section.


The removal of native vegetation, retention or enlargement of water bodies, seasonal factors and encroachment of residential development has resulted in increased complaints about midge nuisance.

Fertilisers and other nutrients in the surface and groundwater flows into these wetlands are also likely to fuel aquatic plant and algal growth which promotes midge breeding. Monitoring of various wetlands indicate that the majority of midge belong to the insect family Chironomidie species. These midges are non-biting and pose no risk to public health. They form a natural important component of the food chain of the lakes and are a food supply for many species of animals including tortoises and water birds. They also have an important role in recycling organic debris.

If you require any further information or wish to make a complaint regarding biting midges contact the City on 9397 3000.


There are almost 100 species of mosquitoes in WA and many of them can be serious pests, interfering with leisure time and outdoor activities. Mosquito bites provide discomfort and pain, particularly to babies and others with sensitive skin. Of particular concern is the spread of mosquito borne viruses and parasites, which are the major causes of human and animal sickness and death. In WA, the main mosquito borne diseases of concern are Ross River Virus and Barmah Forest Virus.

Here are some tips for residents to follow to protect themselves from Ross River Virus:

  • Avoid outdoor exposure to mosquitoes from dusk and the first few hours after dark.
  • Wear protective (long, loose-fitting) clothing when outdoors.
  • Install insect screens on doors and windows of homes, and on enclosed outdoor recreation areas.
  • Use registered insect repellents.
  • Responsible use of insecticides in and around the home.

To minimise the opportunities for mosquito breeding around the home:

  • Don’t leave water standing around in containers.
  • Keep ornamental ponds stocked with mosquito-eating fish, e.g. goldfish. Keep margins free of vegetation.
  • Keep swimming pools well chlorinated and filtered and free of dead leaves.
  • Fill or drain depressions in the ground that hold water.
  • Vent pipes on septic tank systems must be fitted with mosquito proof cowls.
  • Seal all gaps in lid and ensure leach drains are completely covered.
  • Screen rainwater tanks with insect proof mesh, including inlet, overflow and inspection ports. Ensure guttering does not hold water.
  • Empty pot plant drip trays once a week or fill with sand.
  • Empty and clean animal and pet drinking water once a week.
  • Some pot plants (such as bromeliads) hold water in their leaf axils. These should be emptied of water once a week.

If you wish to make a complaint regarding a neighbouring property you believe is possibly breeding mosquitoes and causing it is causing a nuisance contact the City’s Compliance Section 9397 3000.

If there is an environmental water body nearby that you believe is possibly a breeding site and it is causing a nuisance contact the City on 9397 3000.

Poultry and Pigeons

If you wish to keep poultry (chickens) or pigeons on your property you must comply with the City’s Animal, Environment and Nuisance Local Law 2009. Those that live in a residential zone are required to obtain a permit from the City’s Compliance Section. Roosters, geese, turkeys, peacocks and peahens are not permitted in a residential zone.


Going into the colder months rats tend to take shelter wherever they can find it, this usually includes homes and outbuildings. Here are a few precautions that will prevent or help get rid of them:

  • store firewood away from the sides of sheds and fences and well clear off the ground
  • limit garden waste and other disused material in sheds or around the yard
  • remove fruit and nuts from trees or vines at the end of the season
  • block holes and other potential access points around all buildings
  • regularly clean pet food dishes and store bulk pet food supplies in sealed containers
  • maintain rubbish bins and compost containers in good condition and free from holes

If you wish to make a complaint about a neighbouring property that you believe is harbouring rats or mice please contact the City’s Compliance Section.


Nearly all sightings of wasps are Paper Wasps and not likely to be a European Wasp. If you have any doubts you can refer to the Wasp Identification Guide link below.

If you suspect that you have European wasps you should report it to the Department of Agriculture and Food on 1800 084 881(Freecall) during normal office hours Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm.

Did you find this page helpful ?

Please type the code in the box below: